Bright Green Gaijin Pants

I'm in Japan! How now, brown cow?

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ahh, Kanji.

I finally have the info I need to pick classes. Huzzah! It's all in kanji, however. I can read about half of it, and I get to dig through this stuff later today. I'm not sure what I am gonna take. I thought about taking German, but it occurred to me that I'm not completely solid on grammar vocabulary in Japanese... making that not necessarily the best idea. So. Maybe I'll take a bunch of classes having to do with foreign interaction -- economics and the like.

In short, I dunno what I am doing.

Also, turns out that having the "tutor" to help me out was a one-semester deal, to help me get settled in Japan. This doesn't surprise me and doesn't really bother me. I didn't, after all, ask Sayaka for much help along those lines, anyway. I'll still get to see her around, since we are both foreign language majors. I am sure I can get help from Yuuko, too, if I need it. So. S'all good.

In sadoubu, I have started learning the upper-level stuff now. :O The order for doing everything is completely different. And since I'm now using chaire (cha-ee-re) instead of natsume to hold the tea before I make it... the way to clean it off is completely different. A lot of the motions are the same, though, so I didn't do completely terrible the one time I have done it so far. Next time I do it will be under Ikushima-sensei's tutelage. :S Oyoy.

Also, when I was watching Blood+ (an anime) yesterday on TV, I was able to cook at the same time and still catch everything. Well, everything I had the vocabulary to catch. There are some technical words that would be laden with kanji I don't know in every episode that I never catch, but I can understand the main and important parts of the story. And yesterday, I did it while mildly distracted. :D Can I get a HELL YEAH?

And I know it has been a while, but with the return to sadoubu and the advent of a new season...

Taste-O-Meter!

Sanyo: 4
A Japanese sweet. It's beige in color. I don't know what is in it, but the outside has a powder, and it's made from some kind of bean. It's Ikushima-sensei's favorite type of sweet, apparently.

Kintsuba: 5
This was an interesting sweet. The inside of it is adzuki (the sweet anko paste that makes its way into a lot of Japanese sweets). However, outside is a non-crunchy shell of something transparent. I couldn't place a taste for it, so I don't know what it is, but this stuff was tasty. The sweet was molded, somehow -- I dunno if it was stamped or what, but the shell and innards had indents in the top that formed the name of the candy maker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home