Bright Green Gaijin Pants

I'm in Japan! How now, brown cow?

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Lack of Internet / Top

*sigh* I dislike being without internet. Especially when I am waiting for an e-mail from Japan to tell me when I am catching a plane. But now there is internet again, and a couple friends of mine are getting FFXI. Joy! More people to play it with. ^^

Last Monday I went to Chugiak High to visit some teachers around lunch time. Unfortunately, the school has changed its policies such that you can only visit teachers after school hours. Fortunately, one of the guys at work is in JROTC and told me about the back door to the range, so I got to see Top at least.

I don't actually remember Top's actual name. He's the drill sergeant for the NJROTC at Chugiak and the adult responsible for the rifle team. He's also the only one of the three ROTC instructors from my time there that remain now. He's got more gray in his hair than I recall, and even though he recently lost one of his old students to war in Iraq, it's obvious he still cares about every kid who walks through his door.

I know that he's lost two students in the last six years; how many don't I know about? And how many more might he end up losing, especially when so many of the ROTC students go into the military? It was good seeing Top again, but he's got more gray in his hair than he did when I graduated. I am not looking forward to the days when great men like him and Shane Mitchell (one of my acting teachers), men who care so much about young people that they'll devote their own lives to helping turn young people into great adults, must eventually kick the bucket.

:(

But hopefully such days are a long way off. I am going to work now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home