Bright Green Gaijin Pants

I'm in Japan! How now, brown cow?

Friday, November 18, 2005

Agh, Kanji! ><

I woke up late this morning (which is to say around noon) due to a dream I liked and can't remember. I went to my 1 o'clock class, in which I was given yet more kanji to study. Yay! The teacher is settling down into a routine now, and I'm learning quite a bit. The class focuses on learning kanji and improving our reading and writing skills.

The title of this post comes from the fact that we've had an average of 100 kanji a week thrown at us thus far. I'm now to the point where I seriously need to study them every day. I like kanji, but dear god, that's a lot to get at once. I am prificient with about a third of the kanji we've been handed so far, and vaguely recognize some of the others. I'm currently in the process of going through my kanji dictionary and pinning down the meaning of each of these kanji to make sure I know what I am looking at; today I spent 158 yen to get a kanji practice book, and once I'm done pinning down meanings, I'm gonna start practicing in earnest, then using the graph paper that came with me from America to make random sentences. Woo! (Read: Oh god, this is hard. And time comsuming. Why did I come to a total immersion school, again?)

Had sadoubu today. I learned another setup. It's another shelf setup, but this shelf has one more... uh... shelf than the kind I learned about last time. It's a bit different, but I'm starting to pick up the general change in the pattern of the ceremony that comes with using a shelf.

I've also decided that there's a list of things that no longer get Taste-O-Meter! ratings; it can be assumed they are all along similar lines and rate about the same. Pretz, korokke, and tea ceremony candy are currently on the list.

Also, before I went to class, I hopped by 7-11 to grab some breakfast. They were out of bacon-mayo rolls, so I got...

Taste-O-Meter!

Sausage Donut: 4
I don't know what image that name pulled up in your head, but I'm pretty sure you got it wrong. It was a sausage which looked like a hot dog in the middle of a piece of bread about the size of a fist cut in half long-way. (Hot dog style?) The bread wasn't as sweet as you think of with the word "donut", but the texture of the bread was very donut-y.

Realizations of the Period

1) Beer and pretzels go very well together, even if the beer isn't all that tasty.
2) I can get Sky Blue here, if I'm willing to walk 20 minutes to get it. I didn't see any cases/six packs, though, and I found a Japanese beer I like anyway... which I can get at the local convenience stores.
3) I've been looking for Milky Way bars for like a week now. I've found M&M's, Kit Kats, and Snikers, but no Milky Way. Gar!

1 Comments:

At 11/19/2005 01:30:00 PM, Blogger Lena said...

That would be awesome. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home